A fitness evaluation is required for all public safety applicants for the City of Marietta. The evaluation measures the applicant's physical ability to perform the essential functions of a Firefighter/EMT with or without reasonable accommodation. The evaluation is conducted by a certified fitness professional and follows the guidelines of The Cooper Institute's (http://www.cooperinstitute.org/index.cfm) universally accepted standard for public safety employees. The standard provides the minimum acceptable scores that an individual must achieve to proceed further in the hiring process.
All applicants will be given a stress test by a physician to determine if the applicant can safely undergo the fitness evaluation. Each candidate must complete all components of the test and must meet or exceed the specified minimum standard.
Components of the Fitness Evaluation
During the fitness evaluation, each candidate will successfully complete each of 5 activities with a period of rest between each. Refer to the following table for the list of activities and the minimum passing score. Remember, you MUST attain the minimum passing score in every station to move on to the next phase of testing, the Physical Agility Test.
|Station||Minimum Passing Score|
|Sit-up||27 in one minute|
|Push-up||18 continuous push-ups|
|300 Meter Run||68 seconds|
|1.5 Mile Run||15:20|
Physical Agility Test
Firefighting is an extremely demanding occupation; it requires agility, strength, and stamina. The Physical Agility Test is designed to evaluate the candidate's ability to perform firefighting activities and is a major part of the examination process for the position of Firefighter/EMT. Understanding this part of the examination and being prepared for it are critical factors for your success. The City of Marietta Fire Department has designed this skill-specific, 7-station test to measure a candidate's capacity for performing job-specific tasks. Training staff will provide each candidate with a helmet, bunker coat, bunker pants, boots, fire gloves, and a self-contained breathing apparatus (without the mask) and will assist the candidate with donning the equipment so that it is worn properly.
- The candidate shall wear gloves, helmet, and a self-contained breathing apparatus (without the mask) during the entire test.
- The candidate may not run during the test.
- Time will begin at the starting of the first exercise and shall stop when the candidate completes the last exercise. The candidate may pause during the test but time will continue to expire.
- The candidate may ask that instructions for all or any single exercise be read again but time will continue to expire if the test has already begun.
Physical Testing Recommendations
Candidates are strongly recommended to make the following preparations prior to the fitness assessment:
- Plan ahead. Participate in a strength and endurance fitness program such as CrossFit (www.CrossFit.com) for several weeks before the physical agility test.
- Fast for one hour prior to your assessment. It is recommended that you consume little or no food and no caffeinated or highly acidic beverages within the hour prior to your test.
- Wear workout clothing to the test.
- Wear athletic shoes for running activities.
- Refrain from using tobacco products three to four hours prior to assessment.
Candidates should consider having a complete physical exam at their own expense prior to the City's fitness test.