December 1, 2016
CONTACT: Lindsey Wiles
MARIETTA – As we continue through the Holiday Season, the Marietta Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the need to practice fire safety, particularly when decorating your home and choosing a tree.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Before placing your tree in the stand, cut 2" from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least 3 feet from any heat source.
- Add water to the stand initially and be sure to add water daily.
- Use lights that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
- Some lights are for indoor use only. Always read the instructions.
- Replace any string of lights with worn cords or loose bulb connections.
- Read the instructions for the number of light strings that can be connected together.
- Never use candles to light a tree.
- Always turn off holidays lights inside and outside your home before going to bed or leaving the house.
Take a few moments to view the following video provided by the National Fire Protection Association: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5asGRJPfpeg
For more Fire Safety tips or to schedule a Home Safety Visit please visit the Marietta Fire Department on the web at www.MariettaFire.com or call the Fire Prevention Bureau at (770)794-5466.