March 26, 2019
CONTACT: Trevor Beemon
MARIETTA - Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society, Inc., has worked with a local developer to salvage historic materials from Marietta's Fowler House. The Fowler House has stood atop a small hill just outside downtown Marietta since 1926. Used as a private residence for many years, the house was converted by the Fowler family into an office building during the 1960s, when Peoples Financial Corporation moved into the structure. Since that time, the area surrounding the house has seen tremendous growth and change. Residences were gradually replaced with retail, office, and medical buildings, until the house was completely surrounded by commercial development. Peoples Financial continued to operate out of the house until the structure was acquired by BAMM Real Estate LLC in 2018.
When Cobb Landmarks learned that BAMM Real Estate was going to demolish the house and redevelop the site, the historical society's Executive Director, Trevor Beemon, requested the opportunity to document the structure so that a photographic and written record of the building, its history, and its architectural features could be made.
While surveying the structure, members of the Cobb Landmarks Preservation Committee noted that some elements of the house were in good condition and worth saving, and that some of these materials might be used in the construction of the new interpretive center being developed by Cobb Landmarks at the William Root House campus in downtown Marietta. Cobb Landmarks requested access to these items for preservation and re-use in the Root House project. BAMM agreed and gave Cobb Landmarks permission to identify and remove elements of historic importance from the Fowler House. "We were thrilled to work with Cobb Landmarks to preserve parts of the Fowler house," said Michael Sunshine, Managing Partner of BAMM. "Preserving the history of Marietta is extremely important to us and as we begin development of multiple properties in Marietta, we look forward to our continued partnership with Cobb Landmarks and other local businesses."
Items saved from the house, including doors, windows, shutters, lighting fixtures, and hardware, will be incorporated into Cobb Landmarks' new interpretive center and headquarters. Cobb Landmarks is pleased to be able to give pieces of the historic Fowler House a second life.
To learn more about the project or to make a donation, visit CobbLandmarks.com/NextGen.
About Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society, Inc.:
Cobb Landmarks and Historical Society has succeeded in preserving and protecting some of Georgia's historically relevant buildings through the generosity of dedicated supporters-people who care deeply about local history. Each year, Cobb Landmarks provides engaging programs and activities that reach thousands of preservationists, tourists, teachers, college students, and school-age children. Many of these programs are centered on the organization's two historic properties, the William Root House Museum & Garden and the Power Cabin. Currently, volunteer leaders are implementing an expansion plan that will guide the organization in expanding programming, diversifying income opportunities, managing financial resources, and increasing awareness of Marietta and local heritage tourism.
About the William Root House Museum & Garden:
The Root House was built circa 1845 for Hannah and William Root, early settlers of Marietta. Mr. Root was one of Marietta's earliest merchants and its first druggist. It is the oldest existing house in downtown Marietta. The Root family owned the house until it was sold in 1886. By the late 1980s, the Root house had fallen into disrepair and was slated for demolition. After the house was documented as one of Marietta's oldest buildings, preservation efforts began, and in 1989, Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society acquired the house and moved it to its present location (leased to Cobb Landmarks by the City of Marietta) at the corner of Polk Street and North Marietta Parkway. After being moved in 1990, the house was restored to its c. 1845 appearance for use as a historic house museum.