All signs must be permitted by the Planning and Zoning Division
. It is the responsibility of Planning and Zoning to regulate the number of signs, location, size and construction.
Guidelines & Regulations
- No signs allowed on right-of-way (ROW) or on utility poles
- Non-permitted or illegal signs are violations in the city
- Political, real estate and yard sale signs are allowed only on private property with owners permission
- A roof-mounted sign is to be considered nonconforming and shall be regulated as such.
- Roof-mounted signs shall have a minimum clearance of four feet between any wall, parapet or vertical surface and the bottom edge of the sign.
- The Marietta Fire Inspection Division is the only agency authorized to grant a variance to this clearance minimum.
Sign Permit Application Tip
Before going through the expense of applying for a sign permit, please check sign permit regulations as most signs are regulated by city ordinances.